Education & Training
- Medical School – Mount Sinai School of Medicine – MD
- Residency – Mount Sinai School of Medicine – General Surgery
- Fellowship – Mount Sinai School of Medicine – Vascular Surgery
- Fellowship – Mount Sinai School of Medicine – Research
- Fellowship – Rockefeller University - Research
NIH Grants: R01
Dr. Sachdev-Ost has federal funding to evaluate mechanisms of release of the nuclear protein HMGB1 from ischemic muscle. While HMGB1 has been shown to promote inflammation in certain models of disease, it has also been linked to pro-angiogenic and other pro-regenerative effects in muscle. She has determined that lack of HMGB1 in ischemic muscle leads to poor recovery following arterial ligation and that different medications may regulate how much HMGB1 is available locally after injury. It is likely that inflammasomes and platelets play a role in this process. Furthermore, she is working with a post-doctoral fellow to harvest muscle satellite cells from patients, and investigate their proliferation, differentiation, and potential applicability to therapeutics. She has also recently demonstrated that in patients with chronic venous insufficiency, including those with varicose veins and venous ulceration, levels of locally circulating inflammatory molecules are relatively low compared to control subjects. One hypothesis for this finding is that leukocytes are trapped in the vein walls rather than within the lumen of the vessel. She is investigating mechanisms to visualize inflammation within vein walls to test this hypothesis.
- Vogel S, Murthy P, Cui X, Lotze M, Zeh H, Sachdev U. TLR4-dependent upregulation of the platelet NLRP3 inflammasome promotes platelet aggregation in a murine model of hindlimb ischemia. Biochem Biophys Res Commun (In Press; more info at https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2018.11.125)
- Sachdev U, Vodovotz L, Bitner J, Barclay D, Zamora R, Yin J, Simmons RL, Vodovotz Y. Suppressed networks of inflammatory mediators characterize chronic venous insufficiency. J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord. 2018 May;6(3):358-366. doi: 10.1016/j.jvsv.2017.11.009. Epub 2018 Feb 10. PubMed PMID: 29439934.
- Henry JC, Sachdev U, Hager E, Dillavou E, Yuo T, Makaroun M, Leers SA. Cephalic vein transposition is a durable approach to managing cephalic arch stenosis. J Vasc Access. 2017 Nov 25:0. doi: 10.5301/jva.5000802. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 29192722.
- Sachdev U, Lotze MT. Perpetual change: autophagy, the endothelium, and response to vascular injury. J Leukoc Biol. 2017 Aug;102(2):221-235. doi: 10.1189/jlb.3RU1116-484RR. Epub 2017 Jun 16. Review. PubMed PMID: 28626046.
- Xu J, Cui X, Li J, Koutakis P, Pipinos I, Tzeng E, Chen A, Sachdev U. Chloroquine improves the response to ischemic muscle injury and increases HMGB1 after arterial ligation. J Vasc Surg. 2018 Mar;67(3):910-921. doi: 10.1016/j.jvs.2017.01.021. Epub 2017 Mar 1. PubMed PMID: 28259568; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5581296.
- Murthy P, Durco F, Miller-Ocuin JL, Takedai T, Shankar S, Liang X, Liu X, Cui X, Sachdev U, Rath D, Lotze MT, Zeh HJ 3rd, Gawaz M, Weber AN, Vogel S. The NLRP3 inflammasome and bruton's tyrosine kinase in platelets co-regulate platelet activation, aggregation, and in vitro thrombus formation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017 Jan 29;483(1):230-236. doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2016.12.161. Epub 2016 Dec 26. PubMed PMID: 28034752.
- Xu J, Benabou K, Cui X, Madia M, Tzeng E, Billiar T, Watkins S, Sachdev U. TLR4 Deters Perfusion Recovery and Upregulates Toll-like Receptor 2 (TLR2) in Ischemic Skeletal Muscle and Endothelial Cells. Mol Med. 2015 Jul 14;21:605-15. doi: 10.2119/molmed.2014.00260. PMID:26181630