Education & Training
- Medical School - Kilpauk Medical College Kilpauk, Chennai, India - MD
- Residency - SUNY Downstate, New York – Pediatrics
- Fellowship – Albert Einstein College of Medicine – Pediatric Endocrinology
NIH Grants: T32
Her research is focused on GH, insulin-like growth factors and their binding partners, and a novel mitochondria-associated peptide called humanin on glucose homeostasis, energy metabolism, cardiovascular health, and aging. Her lab is also studying the link between tumor suppressor gene AIM 2 and obesity, as well as the role of novel acyl dehydrogensase enzyme (ACAD 10) on glucose/lipid metabolism and mitochondrial function. Dr. Muzumdar’s laboratory utilizes relevant murine models, molecular genetic approaches and in vitro biochemical assays to examine novel regulators of energy and glucose homeostasis. She is on several national and international study sections, including the NIH, AFAR research council, Binational Israel foundation, Israeli Science Foundation, Marsden Fund (New Zealand) and Wellcome Trust UK. She serves as standing member on the NIA/ASG study section and on AFAR’s National Scientific Advisory Council. Dr. Muzumdar is the principal investigator of the Research Training in Pediatric Endocrinology program (T32). The goal of this T32 training grant is to provide state-of-the-art training in the molecular, cellular, physiologic, genetic, and biochemical aspects of pediatric endocrinology to ensure that the physician-scientists who graduate from this program are well prepared for productive academic careers in translational research related to pediatric endocrinology. She is an active member of the Pediatric Endocrine Society (PES) and is Chair of the Research advisory committee of PES.
- Robinson KM, Ramanan K, Clay ME, McHugh KJ, Pilewski MJ, Nickolich KL, Corey C, Shiva S, Wang J, Muzumdar R, Alcorn JF. The inflammasome potentiates influenza/Staphylococcus aureus superinfection in mice. JCI Insight. 2018 Apr 5;3(7). pii: 97470. doi: 10.1172/jci.insight.97470. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 29618653
- Gong Z, Tasset I, Diaz A, Anguiano J, Tas E, Cui L, Kuliawat R, Kuhn B, Cuervo AM and Muzumdar R. Role of humanin in chaperone mediated-autophagy. J Cell Biol 2018, vol. 217 no. 2 (epub ahead of print Nov 2017).
- Forno E, Han YY, Libman IM, Muzumdar RH, Celedón JC. Adiposity and Asthma in a Nationwide Study of Children and Adults in the United States. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2018 Mar;15(3):322-330. doi: 10.1513/AnnalsATS.201709-723OC. PubMed PMID: 29144884; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5880523.
- Goetzman ES, Gong Z, Schiff M, Wang Y, Muzumdar RH. Metabolic pathways at the crossroads of diabetes and inborn errors. J Inherit Metab Dis. 2018 Jan;41(1):5-17. doi: 10.1007/s10545-017-0091-x. Epub 2017 Sep 26. Review. PubMed PMID: 28952033.
- Gong Z, Su K, Cui L, Tas E, Zhang T, Dong HH, Yakar S, Muzumdar RH. Central effects of humanin on hepatic triglyceride secretion. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2015 Aug 1;309(3):E283-92. doi: 10.1152/ajpendo.00043.2015. Epub 2015 Jun 9. PubMed PMID: 26058861; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4525112.
- Gong Z, Kennedy O, Sun H, Wu Y, Williams GA, Klein L, Cardoso L, Matheny RW Jr, Hubbard GB, Ikeno Y, Farrar RP, Schaffler MB, Adamo ML, Muzumdar RH, Yakar S. Reductions in serum IGF-1 during aging impair health span. Aging Cell. 2014 Jun;13(3):408-18. doi: 10.1111/acel.12188. Epub 2013 Dec 30. PubMed PMID: 24341939; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4326899.