Education & Training
- Medical School – University of Western Ontario – London, Ontario, Canada – MD
- Residency – British Columbia Children’s Hospital – Vancouver, BC, Canada – Pediatrics
- Fellowship – Children’s Hospital Boston – Pediatric Nephrology
NIH Grants: R01
Dr. Ho’s laboratory has demonstrated a crucial requirement for miRNAs in several lineages of the developing kidney, including nephron progenitors (which give rise to all the epithelial components of the nephron except the collecting duct), the renal stroma and podocytes (specialized epithelial cells that are essential in the glomerular filtration barrier). They have described the first miRNA cluster associated with renal developmental defects and kidney disease, the miR-17~92 cluster. More recently, Dr. Ho’s laboratory has begun evaluating the role of specific miRNAs in the setting of acute kidney injury and diabetic nephropathy. The laboratory has significant expertise in high-throughput transcriptional profiling, the bioinformatics analysis of mis-regulated signaling pathways, developmental biology, and transgenic mouse models. Dr. Ho is actively involved in teaching and research training of medical students, graduate students, residents, postdoctoral fellows and clinical fellows in pediatric nephrology. The laboratory strives to provide an optimal training environment for trainees to acquire the intellectual and technical skills required to establish an independent investigative career in genitourinary developmental biology and disease.
- Ho J, Pandey P, Schatton T, Sims-Lucas S, Khalid M, Frank MH, Hartwig S and Kreidberg JA. The pro-apoptotic protein Bim is a microRNA target in kidney progenitor cells. J Am Soc Neph 2011; 22(6): 1053-1063. PMID 21546576.
- Chu JYS, Sims-Lucas S, Bushnell DS, Bodnar AJ, Kreidberg J, and Ho J. Dicer function is required in the metanephric mesenchyme in early kidney development. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 2014; 306(7): F764-72. PMID 24500693.
- Marrone AK, Stolz DB, Bastacky SI, Kostka D, Bodnar AJ, and Ho J. miR-17~92 is required for nephrogenesis and renal function. J Am Soc Neph 2014; 25(7): 1440-1452. PMID 24511118.
- Phua YL, Chu JYS, Marrone AK, Bodnar AJ, Sims-Lucas S, and Ho J. Renal stromal miRNAs are required for normal nephrogenesis and glomerular mesangial survival. Physiol Reports 2015 Oct;3(10); pii: e12537. doi: 10.14814/phy2.12537. PMID 26438731.
- Cerqueira DM, Bodnar AJ, Phua YL, Freer R, Hemker SL, Walensky LD, Hukriede NA, and Ho J. Bim gene dosage is critical in modulating nephron progenitor survival in the absence of microRNAs during kidney development. FASEB J, 2017 Aug; 31(8): 3540-3554. PMID28446592.
- Phua YL, Clugston A, Chen KH, Kostka D, Ho J. Small non-coding RNA expression in mouse nephrogenic mesenchymal progenitors. Scientific data. 2018; 5:180218. PubMed [journal] PMID: 30422124, PMCID: PMC6233257