Education & Training
- Graduate School – Vanderbilt University – PhD
- Medical School – Vanderbilt University - MD
NIH Grants: U24, F35, F32, K08, R01
Dr. Lucas is a physician-scientist, directing a laboratory that focuses on the relationship between chronic inflammation and the development of vascular, metabolic, and neoplastic diseases. Specifically, his lab focuses on the role of an NF- κB signaling pathway that is controlled by the "CBM signalosome", a complex of three proteins (CARMA, Bcl10, and MALT1). Dr. Lucas' lab originally identified this signalosome in lymphocytes, where it mediates NF- κB activation in response to antigen receptor ligation, and plays a critical role in the immune response. More recently, his group has found that an analogous signaling pathway operates outside the confines of the immune system, in epithelial and mesenchymal cells, where it promotes pro-inflammatory responses that contribute to a range of disease processes. Four specific projects are under active investigation. Each focuses on a distinct disease entity, but all are linked by overlapping mechanistic processes.
- Type II Diabetes
- McAuley JR, Bailey KM, Ekambaram P, Kang H, Hu D, Freeman TJ, Klei LR, Concel VJ, Hubel NE, Sekar P, Bridwell RE, Covic L, Lucas PC, and McAllister-Lucas LM (2019) MALT1 is a critical mediator of PAR1-driven NF-κB activation and metastasis in multiple tumor types. Oncogene, Aug 16 [Epub ahead of print]
- Abraham J, Montero AJ, Jankowitz R, Salkeni MA, Beumer JH, Kiesel BF, Piette F, Adamson LM, Nagy RJ, Lanman RB, Sperinde J, Huang W, Allegra CJ, Srinivasan A, Wang Y, Pogue-Geile KL, Lucas PC, and Jacobs SA (2019) Safety and efficacy of T-DM1 plus neratinib in patients with metastatic HER2-positive breast cancer: NSABP Foundation trial FB-10. J. Clin. Oncol., 37:2601-2609
- Vareslija D, Priedigkeit N, Fagan A, Purcell S, Cosgrove N, O'Halloran PJ, Ward E, Cocchiglia S, Hartmaier R, Castro CA, Zhu L, Tseng GC, Lucas PC, Puhalla SL, Brufsky AM, Hamilton RL, Mathew A, Leone JP, Hudson L, Dwyer R, Das S, O'Connor DP, Buckley PG, Farrell M, Hill ADK, Oesterreich S, Lee AV, and Young LS (2018) Transcriptome characterization of matched primary breast and brain metastatic tumors to detect novel actionable targets. J Natl Cancer Inst, 111:388-398.
- McAuley JR, Freeman T, Ekambaram P, Lucas PC, and McAllister-Lucas LM (2018) CARMA3 is a critical mediator of GPCR and RTK-driven solid tumor pathogenesis. Frontiers Immunol, 9:1887.
- Hartmaier RJ, Trabucco SE, Priedigkeit N, Chung JH, Parachoniak CA, Vanden Borre P, Morley S, Rosenzweig M, Gay LM, Goldberg ME, Suh J, Ali S, Ross J, Leyland-Jones B, Young B, Williams C, Park B, Tsai M, Haley B, Peguero J, Callahan RD, Sachelarie I, Cho J, Atkinson JM, Bahreini A, Nagle AM, Puhalla SL, Watters RJ, Erdogan-Yildirim Z, Cao L, Oesterreich S, Mathew A, Lucas PC, Davidson NE, Brufsky AM, Frampton GM, Stephens PJ, Chmielecki J, and Lee AV (2018) Recurrent hyperactive ESR1 fusion proteins in endocrine therapy-resistant breast cancer. Annals Oncol, 29:872-880
- Ekambaram P, Lee J-Y, Hubel NE, Hu D, Yerneni S, Campbell PG, Pollock N, Klei LR, Concel VJ, Delekta PC, Chinnaiyan AM, Tomlins SA, Rhodes DR, Priedigkeit N, Lee AV, Oesterreich S, McAllister-Lucas LM, and Lucas PC (2018) The CARMA3-Bcl10-MALT1 signalosome drives NF-?B activation and aggressive phenotype in AGTR1-positive breast cancer. Cancer Research, 78:1225-1240
- Priedigkeit N, Hartmaier RJ, Chen Y, Vareslija D, Basudan A, Watters RJ, Thomas R, Leone JP, Lucas PC, Bhargava R, Hamilton RL, Chmielecki J, Puhalla SL, Davidson NE, Oesterreich S, Brufky AM, Young L, and Lee AV (2017) Intrinsic subtype switching and acquired ERBB2/HER2 amplifications and mutations in breast cancer brain metastases. JAMA Oncol, 3:666-671