Hülya Bayir, MD
- Professor, Department of Critical Care Medicine, Environmental and Occupational Health
- UPMC Endowed Chair in Pediatric Critical Care Research
- Academic Chief and Director of Research, Division of Pediatric Critical Care Medicine, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
- Director, UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh Neuroscience Institute
- Associate Director, Center for Free Radical and Antioxidant Health, Pitt Public Health
- Associate Director, Safar Center for Resuscitation Research
Education & Training
Medical School – Hacettepe University (Turkey) – MD
Internship – Hacettepe Children’s Hospital (Turkey) - Pediatrics
Residency – State University of New York, Stony Brook - Pediatrics
Fellowship – University of Pittsburgh, Children’s Hospital – Pediatric Critical Care
NIH Grants: R01, U19
As an active physician-scientist working in a 36 bed quaternary pediatric intensive care unit at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Dr. Bayır’s research interests are focused on One area of focus is how oxidized phospholipids play key roles in the execution of apoptotic and regulated necrotic death pathways. Dr. Bayır has shown that cardiolipin, a lipid found exclusively in mitochondria, plays critical roles in the elimination of damaged or dysfunctional mitochondria. Furthermore, selective oxidation of this phospholipid is required for apoptotic death of neurons. Based on this information her team has designed and developed new classes of mechanism-based mitochondria-targeted regulators of oxidative stress - which showed high effectiveness in clinically-relevant neurological disease conditions. Presently she is studying whether the appearance of brain-specific molecular species of cardiolipin in plasma might be an indication of occult brain injury. Dr. Bayır’s laboratory utilizes state of liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry-based redox lipidomics methods, in vitro and in vivo models of critical illness as well as patient samples to examine redox mechanisms of traumatic, infectious and ischemic brain injury as well as acute kidney injury. She is actively involved in research training and teaching of medical students, graduate students, residents, and fellows in Pediatrics and Critical Care Medicine.
- Kim-Campbell N, Bayir H. Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation and Hemolysis-Still a Challenge. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2018 Nov;19(11):1089-1090.
- Chao H, Anthonymuthu TS, Kenny EM, Amoscato AA, Cole LK, Hatch GM, Ji J, Kagan VE, Bayır H. Disentangling oxidation/hydrolysis reactions of brain mitochondrial cardiolipins in pathogenesis of traumatic injury. JCI Insight. 2018 Nov 2;3(21).
- Wolf MS, Chen Y, Simon DW, Alexander H, Ross M, Gibson GA, Manole MD, Bayır H, Kochanek PM, Clark RSB. Quantitative and qualitative assessment of glymphatic flux using Evans blue albumin. J Neurosci Methods. 2019 Jan 1;311:436-441.
- Dar HH, Tyurina YY, Mikulska-Ruminska K, Shrivastava I, Ting HC, Tyurin VA, Krieger J, St Croix CM, Watkins S, Bayir E, Mao G, Armbruster CR, Kapralov A, Wang H, Parsek MR, Anthonymuthu TS, Ogunsola AF, Flitter BA, Freedman CJ, Gaston JR, Holman TR, Pilewski JM, Greenberger JS, Mallampalli RK, Doi Y, Lee JS, Bahar I, Bomberger JM, Bayır H, Kagan VE. Pseudomonas aeruginosa utilizes host polyunsaturated phosphatidylethanolamines to trigger theft-ferroptosis in bronchial epithelium. J Clin Invest. 2018 Oct 1;128(10):4639-4653.
- Krainz T, Lamade AM, Du L, Maskrey TS, Calderon MJ, Watkins SC, Epperly MW, Greenberger JS, Bayır H, Wipf P, Clark RSB. Synthesis and Evaluation of a Mitochondria-Targeting Poly(ADP-ribose) Polymerase-1 Inhibitor. ACS Chem Biol. 2018 Oct 19;13(10):2868-2879.
- Lamade AM, Kenny EM, Anthonymuthu TS, Soysal E, Clark RSB, Kagan VE, Bayır H. Aiming for the target: Mitochondrial drug delivery in traumatic brain injury. Neuropharmacology. 2018 Jul 30. pii: S0028-3908(18)30375-7.
- Anthonymuthu TS, Kenny EM, Lamade AM, Kagan VE, Bayır H. Oxidized phospholipid signaling in traumatic brain injury. Free Radic Biol Med. 2018 Aug 20;124:493-503.
- Hassannia B, Wiernicki B, Ingold I, Qu F, Van Herck S, Tyurina YY, Bayır H, Abhari BA, Angeli JPF, Choi SM, Meul E, Heyninck K, Declerck K, Chirumamilla CS, Lahtela-Kakkonen M, Van Camp G, Krysko DV, Ekert PG, Fulda S, De Geest BG, Conrad M, Kagan VE, Vanden Berghe W, Vandenabeele P, Vanden Berghe T. Nano-targeted induction of dual ferroptotic mechanisms eradicates high-risk neuroblastoma. J Clin Invest. 2018 Aug 1;128(8):3341-3355.
- Conrad M, Kagan VE, Bayir H, Pagnussat GC, Head B, Traber MG, Stockwell BR. Regulation of lipid peroxidation and ferroptosis in diverse species. Genes Dev. 2018 May 1;32(9-10):602-619.
- Hagos FT, Empey PE, Wang P, Ma X, Poloyac SM, Bayir H, Kochanek PM, Bell MJ, Clark RSB. Exploratory Application of Neuropharmacometabolomics in Severe Childhood Traumatic Brain Injury. Crit Care Med. 2018 Sep;46(9):1471-1479.
- Fidan E, Foley LM, New LA, Alexander H, Kochanek PM, Hitchens TK, Bayır H. Metabolic and Structural Imaging at 7 Tesla After Repetitive Mild Traumatic Brain Injury in Immature Rats. ASN Neuro. 2018 Jan-Dec;10:1759091418770543.
- Wolf MS, Bayır H, Kochanek PM, Clark RSB. The role of autophagy in acute brain injury: A state of flux? Neurobiol Dis. 2018 Apr 26.
- Liu B, Oltvai ZN, Bayır H, Silverman GA, Pak SC, Perlmutter DH, Bahar I. Quantitative assessment of cell fate decision between autophagy and apoptosis. Sci Rep. 2017 Dec 14;7(1):17605.
- Kochanek PM, Wallisch JS, Bayır H, Clark RSB. Pre-clinical models in pediatric traumatic brain injury-challenges and lessons learned. Childs Nerv Syst. 2017 Oct;33(10):1693-1701.
- Steinman J, Epperly M, Hou W, Willis J, Wang H, Fisher R, Liu B, Bahar I, McCaw T, Kagan V, Bayir H, Yu J, Wipf P, Li S, Huq MS, Greenberger JS. Improved Total-Body Irradiation Survival by Delivery of Two Radiation Mitigators that Target Distinct Cell Death Pathways. Radiat Res. 2018 Jan;189(1):68-83.
- Wenzel SE, Tyurina YY, Zhao J, St Croix CM, Dar HH, Mao G, Tyurin VA, Anthonymuthu TS, Kapralov AA, Amoscato AA, Mikulska-Ruminska K, Shrivastava IH, Kenny EM, Yang Q, Rosenbaum JC, Sparvero LJ, Emlet DR, Wen X, Minami Y, Qu F, Watkins SC, Holman TR, VanDemark AP, Kellum JA, Bahar I, Bayır H, Kagan VE. PEBP1 Wardens Ferroptosis by Enabling Lipoxygenase Generation of Lipid Death Signals. Cell. 2017 Oct 19;171(3):628-641.e26.
- Stockwell BR, Friedmann Angeli JP, Bayir H, Bush AI, Conrad M, Dixon SJ, Fulda S, Gascón S, Hatzios SK, Kagan VE, Noel K, Jiang X, Linkermann A, Murphy ME, Overholtzer M, Oyagi A, Pagnussat GC, Park J, Ran Q, Rosenfeld CS, Salnikow K, Tang D, Torti FM, Torti SV, Toyokuni S, Woerpel KA, Zhang DD. Ferroptosis: A Regulated Cell Death Nexus Linking Metabolism, Redox Biology, and Disease. Cell. 2017 Oct 5;171(2):273-285. Redox Signaling by Oxygenated Phospholipids in Cell Fate Decisions. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2018 Nov 1;29(13):1333-1358.
- Kim-Campbell N, Gretchen C, Callaway C, Felmet K, Kochanek PM, Maul T,Wearden P, Sharma M, Viegas M, Munoz R, Gladwin MT, Bayir H. Cell-Free PlasmaHemoglobin and Male Gender Are Risk Factors for Acute Kidney Injury in Low Risk Children Undergoing Cardiopulmonary Bypass. Crit Care Med. 2017 Nov;45(11):e1123-e1130.
- Tyurina YY, Shrivastava I, Tyurin VA, Mao G, Dar HH, Watkins S, Epperly M, Bahar I, Shvedova AA, Pitt B, Wenzel SE, Mallampalli RK, Sadovsky Y, Gabrilovich D, Greenberger JS, Bayır H, Kagan VE. "Only a Life Lived for Others Is Worth Living": Redox Signaling by Oxygenated Phospholipids in Cell Fate Decisions. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2018 Nov 1;29(13):1333-1358.